Monday, January 19, 2009

Gossip Girl: the pre-episode discussion

I will post tomorrow discussing my thoughts about tonight's episode, but I wanted to give a little back-story that explains my interest in this show. When I was in high school I was one of the first to find the Gossip Girl novel series by Cecily von Ziegesar. I read every single novel in the series right through the prequel that was published last year. At that point I was too old to be reading high school smut, but I was so drawn into the story that I couldn't help but want to find out what happened next. So when I found out there was a television show based on the books I was very excited.

As I watched, I quickly figured out that the television show is NOT a portrayal of what happened in the books. But I learned to separate the books for the show and from there it was easy to enjoy. At times I do know things that are going to happen before they actually happen (for example, I knew Jenny and Nate were going to date for a while because they did in the books), but other than that the books and the show have little in common. Yet they are both very entertaining in their own ways. I can't help but watch the show. I am just as hooked on the show as I was on the books.

No comments:

Post a Comment